Blog Virgin to Stat Whore in one dramatic plummet…

There’s definitely something a bit hit-and-miss for me about WordPress stats – they seem to show some but not all activity on my blog. For example according to the WordPress stats page I may only have had one visitor and one view across my whole blog on that day, yet at the same time according to my little notifications speech bubble on the blog itself I can have several new ‘likes’ for that day on posts both new and old. Hmmm…

It all got very confusing for a while until I half-worked out that perhaps ‘likes’ accumulated only through the WordPress reader (rather than through clicking on, and so opening, the blog post itself) didn’t count towards either a ‘visitor’ or a ‘view’, or something equally convoluted? Basically, I worked out that for me WordPress stats seem to be a bit of a blunt instrument, missing many of the subtle nuances and peccadilloes of a virtual readership. And as my blog traffic to date is generally counted in single (or at best, double) figures each day, I guess for my lowly little blog numbers it’s never going to be an exact science…

So having worked that out weeks, if not months ago, why do I still doggedly hound my viewing figures like a feral bitch on heat? What I want from all of this blogging malarkey is to be able to post something on my blog, just because I want to, and not care too much one way or another whether or not it gets many (or even any) hits. What I actually seem to do is post something then immediately sniff around my stats, unashamedly looking for action, and I’m starting to feel somehow sullied by the sheer seduction of it all. It’s becoming worryingly addictive, even more so than checking vacuuous Facebook status updates, and that’s saying something…

I’ve now been blogging for a grand total of four and a half months – four months on Quiet Calliope and two weeks here on Mad Meandering Me – and I’m not (at least I don’t think I am) intentionally being overly attention-seeking with either blog, so why, when it comes to stats, do I nevertheless find myself engaging in such blatant lascivious, gagging-for-it, desperation-fueled behind-the-scenes behaviour?

Of course I want a reasonable level of blog-based interaction with others, I wouldn’t be on here if I didn’t, but I don’t want to find myself behaving like a virtual prostitute in order to achieve that aim, even if it is for clicks not tricks. So if anyone out there has some tried-and-tested tips on how best to tame the rampant stat-whore lust in me, any and all advice is more than welcomed… 🙂

Advertisements

Technical Fault: ID-10-T

I’m not a naturally technological person… practical, yes, but technological, no. Don’t get me wrong, I’m quick enough to use technology when it suits me, but unlike many I don’t necessarily find it either inherently intuitive or immediately user-friendly. I just don’t think my brain works that way, so I often struggle a bit until I really start to get the hang of how new things work…

This morning’s light-bulb idea sounded simple enough. There’s a Facebook widget that can be added to my blog so I thought – I know, I’ll make a Facebook page specifically for linking my blog posts to, so then any friends who want to can still follow my blog that way, without absolutely everyone on my personal Facebook account being bombarded by blog posts they’re not the slightest bit interested in…

So after only a couple of false starts I created my new Facebook page. I added that page to Publicize on WordPress. I tried to ‘share’ an old post from my blog with the page to see if it worked and… nothing. Zilch, zip, nada. So I tried again with another post and… still nothing. Hmmm…

Knowing it’s always more likely to be a fault caused by my mistake than a genuine glitch in the software, I first checked I’d set up the WordPress side correctly. All OK there, so I then checked that I’d set up the Facebook side correctly and… duh! One little check-mark box, absentmindedly unchecked in the passing, and suddenly even I can’t post links to my own Facebook page – so box re-checked, and problem solved!

Definitely one that falls under technical fault ID-10-T… but I’m pleased that at least I found it and fixed it all by myself, without having to ask anyone more technologically-minded for help 🙂